Thursday, August 08, 2002

I haven't much time. I'm at a coffeehouse in Monterey, California called Bay Books Coffeehouse. The entire past week, I've been at a conference regarding the engineering aspects of aerospace. It's an AIAA/AAS conference for academics and working engineers (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics / American Astronomical Society). There are a lot of people from NASA and aerospace departments (about 1000 participants) and I don't know more than a handful.

On Sunday night, there was a pre-conference party at a Texas A&M professor's house in Pebble Beach. It was right on the golf course nest to the beach and there were tons of tame deer wandering about. The sunset was gorgeous.

There were several people from Texas A&M there and they asked me to go out there and give a talk on my research sometime. I think they are considering me as a future faculty member. I still have a little less than two more years before I get my PhD, but it's good to know I have some prospects in the academic world.

Like I said, I didn't know too many people at the conference. On Monday night, this Christian professor Mark invited me to dinner with a bunch of his Jewish friends, many of whom he met in Israel while on sabbatical. It was very cool meeting everyone there. We ate many loaves and a few fishes.

Well, today I have another day in Monterey but no conference. So I'm gonna go to the beach and hang out...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home