Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Thieves Strike Again

For the second time in a week...


The Guild of Thieves is at it again, this time striking my last working personal transportation device, my bike. To get to downtown LA for jury duty, I've been biking to the Metro station at Allen Avenue where they have bike racks. But when I returned from court today, I came back to find my bike frame still U-locked to the rack, but not much else -- the wheels, seat, and helmet were stolen. It was robbed in a high traffic area where people are getting on and off trains, plenty of people and cars going by. And there were plenty of other bikes. I don't know what made mine stand out.

Fortunately, the station is only about a 15 minute walk from my apartment. On the way, I stopped by Jessica's to tell her the bad news. She was very good to me, and later brought me pie (!)... and let me use her truck to run errands. She's been very supportive through all this conniving thievery.

I suppose I'll use this opportunity to give the bike an "overhaul," getting new wheels and a seat and a tune-up while I'm at it. My last bike tune-up was two years ago from Budget Bicycles in Eagle Rock, where I've gone for things off and on for the past ten years. I may also report this to the police, not in the hopes of recovering the stolen items, but just to add to the statistics of what's wrong with human nature in Pasadena.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home