Friday, October 15, 2004

The brink of apostasy

Loosely gathered scribblings.


The trial continues. As I was observing last night, the only place outside of Christian communities where the evangelical language of "witness" and "testimony" is used in society is in a courtroom. And as I've come to understand, you can only testify to what you have known, thought, said, or experienced. You can't mention what other people thought as you're aren't inside their minds.

Let's take a vote. Who believes the Gospel of Mark ends at 16:8? I do. It brings the gospel right up to the present moment. It's a challenge. You walk away from that abrupt ending wanting to know more. And in light of the fear and flight of those first observers of the empty tomb who disregard the angel's instructions, you're asked, What're you gonna do?

My sister gets married in three weeks. Cool, eh?

Even though I'm on a jury trial, I'm also singlehandedly trying to finish the textbook I've talked about for years. You can review the latest version here. It's over 300 pages and has some math, so be forewarned! And still needs some cleaning up before I call it a "first draft." But behold, the end is near.

What does this post have to do with the brink of apostasy, you ask? Nothing. Unless my little question about Mark makes you think I'm trying set up an impromptu Jesus Seminar. I just thought the name was provocative. But maybe Li'l brudder knows more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home