Thursday, November 16, 2006

"What do you WANT?!!!"

On the Tuesday after we returned form our wonderful getaway to Virginia Beach I got a bad-news-call from my mom. My uncle had passed away that morning. He was one of my favorite uncles, my Tio Ventura. He had been sick (enphysima) for the last couple of years, but his death was a surprise. He had a heart attack. I am not sure if it was related to enphysima, but it sure was unexpected.

Having missed my cousin's funeral (from the same side of the family) I decided that I just couldn't not go to this one. I left on Thursday and I just got back last night. It was a crazy trip because the most economical way to get there (El Paso, TX) was for me to fly to LA first. Then carpool with my brother and mom to El Paso. So you can imagine it was a long journey.

We arrived Friday afternoon for the viewing.
My uncle was a devout Catholic. He belonged to a United Catholic Association and was always very involved in his church. During the viewing they held a Rosary service. The Rosary service is typical in Catholic funerals, but this one had an added farewell prayer from the association. I really enjoyed its message of hope. There were musicians that played some very sad and beautiful songs during the Rosary. An interesting thing I observed was the guarding of the casket. Every time they announced the "mysteries" there was singing and changing of a "guard". I think it was four or six men and women that stood in front of the casket in a semi-circle solemly watching the body. People took turns going up there for each "decade". (I am not Catholic, so I don't know if I am using the proper language to describe the process.) I don't know the significance of "guarding" the casket, but it seemed like an honor and a tribute to my uncle. I was very touched by the whole thing.

There were many, many people there. He was a very loved man. I have many fond memories of him. He was always the merry prankster and made people laugh. He used to call our house and pretend he was a radio announcer calling to tell us we had just won a trip or lots of money, as a kid I believed him everytime! Then he would just laugh!! He brought Santa Claus to our house when I was eight and nine. He always was very happy to see us and greeted us wholeheartedly. When we moved away to CA, I looked forward to visiting his house in the summer. My cousin Sandy (his only daughter) was a lot of fun, too. Those summer visits were always something to remember.

When I saw him in the coffin it was really good to see him. I know it sounds weird, but I saw his face and I just loved him so much. He looked very well. He had a peaceful face and a smile. He looked very good and happy. All I could think was "I will see you again, Tio." I felt melancholy that that time in my life will forever be a happy childhood memory. I looked at my aunt and cousin and cried for their heartache and loss.

The day of the funeral was very beautiful and sunny. There was a cool wind, but it was just a beautiful sunny day. My older brother, Aldo, commented that "it was a beautiful day to die." He was recalling a Native American saying he'd heard. I agreed. The remainder of the day was spent at a reception where there was lots of food and fellowship with the family and friends.

"What do you want?!!!" classic response when I would call my uncle's name. He liked to say it in an angry tone as if you were bugging him. It always made me laugh.

Since this post has gotten rather long I will stop now. Stay tuned for some pictures.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, but so glad you were able to participate in his service.

1:43 PM, November 16, 2006  
Blogger kika said...

Thanks, Jenny.
Thanks, Matt.

11:51 PM, November 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home