Friday, November 08, 2002

oc nightlife


Last night after a chill out rap session with Stephen and
Ryan, and John S.,
I went to the Fling Cocktail Lounge in Santa Ana with
Seth.
Sure it's a bit of a drive, but no longer than a drive from Pasadena to Santa Monica.


The Fling is very relaxed place and my friends in Anaheim and I have gone there a few times in the past month. It doesn't feel like a pick-up bar or anything, though pick-ups may happen. The crowd is a bit on the older side, say 40s or so, but very jovial. There's one guy in his 60s that looks like Colonel Sanders and dances with all the ladies. Occasionally you'll see some students from nearby Chapman University, especially on a Friday night. One cool thing about the Fling is that it has live music every night. Last night there was a band playing classic rock. I thought the lead guitarist looked a bit like The Edge.


From there, Seth and I headed to 2J's Cocktail Lounge in Fullerton, where a decidedly younger crowd lingers. I saw somebody I knew there,
Dave Kurutz, who recently found out that I study astrophysics and chaos. He was concerned with asteroids hitting the Earth. How big would it need to be to kill us all? What would it do exactly? Well, an asteroid about10 miles across would send out a wall of fire from the impact site that would annihilate whole continents, if not the entire earth. This is probably what happened to the dinosaurs. But there's no reason it can't happen again, since asteroids up to the size of Texas are whizzing about in the cosmic shooting gallery we inhabit. I would not be surprised if God "cast the first stone" to put an end to the Earth when the time comes.


I also met one of Dave's friends Becka, who was very cool. She's actually read a book by physicist Kip Thorne on black holes and time warps, and was curious to know more about what I studied. And she's been to Cinque Terre in Italy, the only other person I know besides my sister and I. The night ended with Seth and I playing pool and me barely winning. Seth said the beer wasn't so good, but these places aren't known for their beer the way that Crown City Brewery is. I'm not too excited about beer anyway, so I didn't notice.


Overall the night was cool. So don't forget about OC, it can be fun sometimes. That Orange Curtain is nothing but a line in the sand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home