Friday, December 20, 2002

Where the Streets Have No Name


Having suddenly succumb to an atavistic fear of air travel, I travelled the old fashioned way to Texas -- on the ground. Well, it wasn't really old fashioned. Instead of taking a wagon train and fightin' Injuns, I took a Mazda and bought jewelry from Native Americans. But the Mazda is kinda old. I mean, almost 10 years...


Anyway, many hours of U2 and several litres of cheap-o gas station cappuccinos later, I find myself in WIllis, Texas. On Sunday night, I saw my grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousins in Oakhurst, CA. That night, my mom and I left for Tucson, AZ, to stay with Matt and Laura Tiscareno. They took us to the best Mexican food I had during this trip, at Rosa's. There was something delicious in the enchilada sauce.


Next day, we high tailed it to Santa Fe, NM. Santa Fe is very cool. The colors and people are very warm. We spent a day there, but I've got to go back (maybe on the way back to Calif. from TX when Ryan gets here). Nearby Taos in the Sangre de Cristo mountains seems worth checking out. We even stopped by St. John's College, where a certain Ellie K. was last heard from. I signed up my sister to get an application from there, but I don't know if she's in to the whole "Great Books" thing. There were many dreads, beards, and political slogans seen while on campus. I escaped with an orange shirt as a momento.

The last stop was Amarillo, but not much happened there. We hurried to get here to my mom's house in WIlis.

Rumor has it that John Lin flies in to Houston tomorrow. My sister and I will do our traditional Christmas shopping trip and then go pick him up. And then there's no telling what might happen...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home