Tuesday, July 13, 2004

The States of the Union

A coarse-grained view of domestic travel.


Here are the states of the USA I've been to (in red):




I notice that I have avoided a large cross-like swath of the midwest, have somehow skipped out on parts of New England, missed South Carolina and Georgia, didn't know what to do with Michigan, and have yet to brave Alaska. I may go to Michigan in the near future and see what John is up to once he moves there, and Sid is in Connecticut, so a trip to visit him is in order at some point.

ps: If I wanted to totally nerd out, I could draw my 'trajectory' from birth to the present through the US, or maybe make this into a color coded time-density plot showing how long I've been in each state, e.g., redder for longer times, bluer for shorter times...

pps: you can create your own visited states map

ppps: It would be neat to have something like this for the Mexican and Canadian states, the EU countries, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home