Tuesday, April 18, 2006

No Whining!

Shane was gracious to join me on one of the many adventures that I planned for my students. Although it is the last one for now, it was good that he got to enter my world for a few days.
For the most part all the students behaved, participated, and were super good sports. Unfortunately, there were a few that caused things go sour for a few moments on the trip.
Even though I feel that my students are good kids they are still teenagers; thus some have the innate ability to grind your nerves with their whining and complaining. I guess that is predictable since we were camping and that just isn't for everyone.
During this trip I learned that when a student talks back, it's not that they are talking back or being sassy, it just means that they are talking to themselves. Isn't that an interesting new concept? That just blew me away. Over and over I heard what I thought was backtalking, but I was wrong. The student was just talking to himself.
I wish I had had that line when I was growing up. That would've made my mom be sorry and apologetic for slapping me. I could've accused her of wrongful beatings.
Okay, so why focus on the negative?
The positive side of the trip was hearing that most of the students had a good time. They were very happy to be challenged and that they survived.
I survived, and Shane survived. That was cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home