Sunday, January 27, 2008

"fearfully and wonderfully made..."

Psalm 139:14 (New International Version)
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

At no other time in my life has that rang so very true. I have been reading all kinds of material about pregnancy and childbirth. I am just so amazed at what my body is made to do.

Shane and I have made a baby. I am carrying and growing that baby in me. He (for the sake of brevity, not that we know the gender) is a little person, moving about, growing, listening, surviving, living inside of me. He responds to my voice, my movement, my poking at my belly... a little life. Everything I do affects him. If I eat, drink, rest... stress,... anything I do can affect him in a good or bad way . I am already the responsible adult in his confined little life, caring for him as he matures and readies for his entry to the world as we know it. The other day at our childbirth prep class I looked around at all the pregnant ladies and their husbands. It's funny that I didn't just see "pregnant ladies and their husbands" I saw ladies with their husbands and a bunch of babies just waiting to be born! As if the ladies were planes and the babies were skydivers. The skydivers are just waiting for the right moment to take the plunge.

Even though thinking about the pain can be scary there is a reassurance that comes from knowing that we are made to go through this. To endure it. I mean, our bodies are made to make a baby and then move it out. It's got all the mechanisms for making and getting it out. Modern medicine is a gift in case there are any complications but altogether we are made to go through this process naturally. There is a lot to explain in respect to this process and how modern medicine has changed the way we see childbirth; I will not get into it now. I will have to write about that after I actually give birth. For now, I plan to be amazed and look forward to seeing how my body, my mind, my spirit will respond to giving birth.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for all your insight. This site has been really helpful to me… Please visit News

5:39 AM, February 10, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home