Sunday, June 08, 2003

Before there was an American Dream

Barcelona, day one


I'm in Barcelona, Spain right now, attending an academic summer school on "nonlinear phenomena in chemical physics." This might sound odd to those of you who know me as a 'rocket scientist,' but the mathematics of chemical physics and the gravitational physics which I do daily is very similar. There are more deep connections in the world than are dreamt of in our philosophies, my dear Horatio.

Barcelona is a city muy bonita in my eyes. I love the architecture of the Modernisme movement, fairy-tale buildings without straight lines. Even my little room lacks right angles.

Anyway, I wandered to the Museo Picasso this morning, and looked at bits of art from Picasso´s formative years, you know, the Blue Period, and all that. Seems the talented young Pablo lived in Barcelona and got training in art by his father. I remember one quote regarding Picasso´s pride, but also the encouragement he received as a lad. Picasso said, "My mother told me, 'If you become a soldier, you will end up a general. If you become a monk, you will end up Pope.' Instead I became an artist and ended up as Picasso."

Walking around the city, surrounded by young fun seekers, strolling lovers, and weathered old people on a walk, I cannot but help that this is closer to what God intended for community. The streets are narrow, flanked by buildings that give the avenues a box canyon feel. You look up and see living spaces; people, clothes, and flowers spilling out of windows. The high density of life reminds you that the place is truly vibrant.

The geometry of people, markets, private and public spaces, is based on a pattern pre-dating the American Dream. City dwellers live in four-story high buildings, and I would suppose that their living quarters are small. Only the wealthy own homes on the outskirts of the city. But why live there, far from the life?

Growing up in suburbia, this arrangement is foriegn to me. Walking outside my house as a kid, there was so much space. There still is in my neighborhood of Pasadena. I'm reminded of what John Lin's mother from Taipei said upon visiting us. Where are all the people? They're so spread out, it's hard to tell where they are. Especially when there are no public spaces for people to just sit, relax, and watch the world go by.

I think it would be great to live in a big city with you all. There would be no need to drive 10 miles away. We'd all live within a ten minute walk or so, meeting now and then in a plaza. It's a strange dream for an Angelino to have. But something about the arrangement here sits well with my soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home