Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Banished word list for 2007

Are you ready for it? There's a new Banished Word List for 2007. I'm a little disappointed with this year's entries. I don't remember what mine and Jessica's submissions were, but I don't think they made the cut. I know Jessica's put off by the overuse of the word 'glorious', as in 'that rug is simply glorious' (there are similar reasons in the official list against using 'awesome' for just about everything, especially those things which lack majesty and awe-inspiringness.)

If you've got any suggestions of your own, by all means, weigh in! Comments equals love, people!

You might recall I had my own banished word list for 2004.

And just to give you something to look at, here's a pizza.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

I actually do remember you having done that previous blog post.

I will admit that I do use awesome and can use glorious from time to time, although I would be willing to relinquish glorious but cannot give up awesome...perhaps it's the valley girl in me.

I am really annoyed when people are talking about a concept or whatever and they say "Now, let's think about what that looks like." I am not quite sure why I find this so annoying (or that I have any alternative phrase), but I think if I had to pinpoint something about it, it just feels really superficial to me. I guess what I want is for the conversation to be less flimsy and more pragmatic. Maybe a phrase I would like better is "Ok, so how do we make this happen?"

So, for instance, I would be totally annoyed if we were talking about how poverty is bad and how we should have a world without poverty and someone said, "Ok, now what does this look like?" I would rather have someone say, "Ok, how do we do this? How do we end poverty?"

PS: that pizza looks delicious!

3:13 PM, March 07, 2007  
Blogger shane said...

Looks like you don't like looks like. I can understand why. It's a little squishy, kinda like those bumper stickers that say "Visualize World Peace" or "Imagine a world without hate". It's easy to visualize, it's a lot harder to do something.

Here's something else we can add to the list "going to the _____ place", as in, "don't get Frank mad, otherwise he goes to the bad place." Maybe it's time for such phrases to go to another place, like one where the sun don't shine.

2:23 PM, March 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home